Bike Parts Overview
Bike parts are a great way to customise, improve or restore your bicycle. If you can name it, there is a manufacturer that distributes it. Bike part brands range greatly in quality and price, also in function and form, a lot of the time it comes down to personal preference when choosing bike parts.
Bike parts can loosely be fitted into two categories, those that you can fit yourself and those that are best left to the professionals. To give you and idea, changing the inner tube of your tyre should be a fundamental part of bike maintenance that you can do, where as changing the cassette may prove a little tricky trying to fit it, let alone choose the right one.
Bike Parts You Can Install Easily
Bike Parts Best Left to the Pro's to Install
|Lamps & Odometers||Cassettes|
|Frame Accessories||Brake Cables (especially hydraulic)|
|Saddle & Seat Pole||Brake Mechanisms|
|Wheels, Tyres & Inner Tube||Gear Shifters|
|Fenders & Mudguards||Shock Absorbers|
If you are going to do your own bike maintenance and bike part changes, especially if you want to be able to perform these takes while out and about, there are a few tools you might want to consider having in your toolbox:
- Chain Cleaner - Degreaser
- Chain Lubricant - Apply after Degreasing
- Multi Tool - A tool with Allen keys, Phillips & Flat head screwdrivers on it.
- Tyre Levers - Use to pry the tyre from the rim
- Tube Patching Kit - Used to repair punctures
- Inner Tube - For a quick fix opposed to patching
- Air Pump - Use to re inflate tyre, come in a variety of sizes.
If you require assistance maintaining or installing parts/accessories on your bike, Bike Exchange's Bike Shop Directory is a quick and easy way to find your local bike professionals to service your bike!