What animal is in you?
If you’re the kind of cyclist who likes to invest serious time in the saddle, then there’s no point finding a bike and bike parts that you can fit to. On the contrary, it has to be the other way around – the bike and bike parts need to fit to you! Ensuring your bike fits you well is paramount to wellbeing and comfort when in the saddle.
And that’s why we’re talking animals…
One of the most recognised racing brands on the planet, Fi’zi:k has revolutionised the way we think about saddles, bars and optimum cycling positions.
Fi’zi:k has drawn from experience gained by working closely with pro cycling teams, which found a distinct correlation between riders’ spine flexibility and their preferred saddle and handlebar shape. They therefore surmised that the spine’s flexibility can dictate not only the style of saddle, but the type of bar a rider uses so that comfort and performance are maximised.
Fi’zi:k’s ‘Spine Concept’ is a neat and nifty way for us riders to quickly identify what saddle and handlebars are a good match, based on the animal category to which our spines belong.
- For the more flexible rider, the ‘snake’ comprises saddles that are flat and narrow
- Optimum handlebars for the ‘snake’ have an 85mm reach and 140mm drop
- For the mid-level flexible rider, the ‘chameleon’ comprises saddles that are an ‘in-between’ shape
- Optimum handlebars for the ‘chameleon’ have an 85mm reach and 135mm drop
- For the least flexible rider, the ‘bull’ comprises saddles that are wide and waved
- Optimum handlebars for the ‘bull’ have an 80mm reach and 130mm drop
If you’re getting niggles when you ride, or you’re committed to getting the ultimate outcomes from your training, find out what animal is in you and get the best from your bike and its parts.